(Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

On Thursday, the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM) awarded more than $150 million for stem cell research projects. We’ll discuss the new areas of research being funded and take stock of what CIRM has done so far. In 2004 voters approved funding the agency to put California at the forefront of stem cell research. Has the agency delivered on its promise?

Guests:
Alan Trounson, president of the California Institute For Regenerative Medicine, the state agency voters authorized in 2004 to spend $3 billion on human embryonic and other stem cell research
Jan Nolta, stem cell program director at UC Davis

• chriskox

Sure, it is lovely to hear the Doctor talk realistically about the time it takes to bring science to trial and product.  But at the time of 71 the pitchmen promised Californians immortality and great wealth right away.  And we all know that every November Californians just can’t wait to vote for the latest nostrum. Oh, Goodness! I suddenly realize that they must be preparing to come back to the public for more.

• TOM TEMPSKE

My name is Tom Tempske, and I would like Drs Trounson and Nolta to discuss actual treatments that have been done successfully in EUROPE. This week there was a report of a young person in France whose trachea was defective, a cadaveric trachea was “de-celled” and seeded with stem cells, and has been in place and effective for two years. 

• Gwhiz54

Any comments about stem cells and the recents news about conary artery disease and stem cells

• Bdasher

Love that CA dollars are going to this leading edge research. Keep in mind that embryonic stem cell research was not viable in the GOP presidency and could revert back to that next year, given politics. We need to be patient – I think that was obvious when we voted for this. Basic research and cure research go together and I think CA is a great pioneer in this.

• Nedoffj

At the time the initiative was on the ballot, stem cell research was blocked by the Bush administration. Californians had foresight, knowing research takes time to become tretments. How much longer would we be waiting for treatments without the funding from the bill?

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor