(Ishara S.KodiKara/AFP/Getty Images)

In recent years, the democratically-elected president of the Maldives, Mohamed Nasheed, has emerged as an international leader on climate change issues. It’s no wonder, since the low-lying island nation is particularly vulnerable to sea level rise. But public protest and police mutiny linked to his predecessor forced Nasheed out of office in February. We talk with the director of the new documentary film “Island President,” which follows the ex-president’s rise to power and his quest to cut carbon emissions around the globe.

THE ISLAND PRESIDENT-A Documentary By Jon Shenk | Official Trailer from Sawyer Studios on Vimeo.

Guests:
Jon Shenk, documentary filmmaker, cinematographer, co-founder of San Francisco-based Actual Films and director of "The Island President"

• Bsliauzis

Wow, I thought hanging up on the guy who called in was pretty lame.  Is it really so dangerous to let someone air their opinion?  That was a Rush Limbaugh move.

• ksn

It was a waste of time. They can air their opinion when the topic is relevant, but I don’t want to hear it when there’s limited time to discuss the Maldives.

• Bsliauzis

The focus of the interview, President Nasheed, would be all for taking to the streets in peaceful protest to try to reverse climate change for his island.  That issue was his main focus.  So how could it not be relevant?  Michael Krazny treated the question like it was so explosive it needed to be censored in a hurry to prevent it from infecting our ears.  His reaction was a bit too urgent for an idea that’s simply ‘a waste of time’.  He was afraid of the caller.

• Tahoe_junky

i hope you see this BSLIAUZIS: Disclosure project is the group of whistleblowers that Krasny doesn’t want you to know about. If KSN gives a rat’s behind about climate change- learning about the disclosure project is probably the most important thing that they can do (which is why he is afraid)

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor