(NRK P3/Flickr)

San Francisco’s influential music festival Noise Pop is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year. We’ll talk to a co-founder and two of the 2012 headliners: Wayne Coyne, lead singer of the Flaming Lips, and Bob Mould, former front man for Sugar and Hüsker Dü.

Guests:
Jordan Kurland, co-owner and producer of Noise Pop. Owner of Zeitgeist Artist Management.
Wayne Coyne, lead singer, guitarist and songwriter for The Flaming Lips
Bob Mould, musician and former front man for the post-punk 80s group Husker Du, as well as the pop band Sugar

• Kurt

It’s a real treat hearing Bob Mould playing live on Forum today. Great booking! Music is such a significant portion of the SF/Bay Area cultural community, so it’s a positive move to hear it on a program like Forum.

I’d love to hear Bob talk a bit more about what drove him to settle in SF–and to talk about the music community here as a whole, what from his POV is unique about it, that other cities across the US/world don’t have.

• Since Bob is talking about the tech companies in the Bay Area as a positive source for music discovery, I wonder if he has an opinion on the file-sharing issue. Neil Young for instance recently was quoted as saying that file sharing is the new radio — as in, fans are discovering music this way. Would Bob agree at all with this? 

• Dale N Scott

I can’t tell you how much it means to me to hear you and your guests (like William Shatner) addressing tinnitus. As one who has suffered from this sometimes debilitating condition, it gives some comfort that I’m not alone in dealing with this very lonely agony, a condition which has no outwardly visible signs of the living hell we deal with every day. It’s ironic that pure silence is counter productive because that’s when the noise in our heads is most dominant. My thanks to you and Wayne Coyne for addressing this very distressing and maddening condition.

Dale N Scott
    Retired Firefighter
    Former Marine
    Heavy construction worker

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor