The Athena Breast Health Network is launching a series of face-to-face forums where patients, breast cancer experts and community members can exchange direct experience and research in breast health care. The first forum will examine breast cancer risk assessment and prevention – and the results will be fed back into the UC-based Athena Network of 150,000 women to improve survival and reduce suffering from breast cancer.

Guests:
Laura Esserman, professor of surgery and radiology and director of the Breast Care Center at UCSF
Arash Naeim, associate professor of medicine and hematology/oncology at UCLA and Athena site principal investigator

What about Thermography? http://www.breastthermography.org/

• yes, what about thermography?  I wish that physicians would give more recognition to the value of thermography – as least as an additional tool to use with mammography.  I personally do not feel comfortable having my breasts exposed to mammography year-after-year.

• Mjhmjh

With Tamoxifen, my mother-in-law lived cancer-free for seventeen years. Then her medication was changed, the cancer recurred within a very short time and she died very quickly. I believe that the preventive benefits of Tamoxifen outweigh any side effects. I really wish that we had been better informed when my beloved mother-in-law was taken off this highly effective drug.

• Blake

Didn’t the FDA give the green light to aspartame even after it was shown to be cancer-causing, due to political pressure by a self-interested party named Donald Rumsfeld?

• Jeannette Grant

Breast cancer risk is strongly associated with breast density (maybe 4-6 x higher for women with dense breasts).  At 38 I had to give up all cows’ milk products for other reasons.  A very welcome ‘side effect’ was that my very dense breasts with many lumps gradually cleared remarkably.  Several years later when I stopped the goats’ milk products that I had substituted, the remaining lumps and density resolved.  Since then several doctors have told me that no one should have milk after the age of two because of the hormones in milk.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor