(Rodrigo Buendia/AFP/Getty Images)

A federal judge in New York has refused to set aside an $18 billion court judgment against San Ramon-based Chevron for pollution in Ecuador. The legal wrangling between Chevron and lawyers representing Ecuadorian residents has been in and out of the courts for the past 18 years. We talk with both sides about the latest ruling.

Guests:
Patrick Radden Keefe, author and journalist writing about this topic for The New Yorker Magazine
Ted Boutrous, partner in Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, representing Chevron in the Ecuador case
Craig Smyser, lawyer representing Ecuadoran plaintiffs in the Chevron suit

• wda

Sorry Chevron, but the truth hurts.

• wda

World Class remediators?  My ass.

• wda

Chevron lawyer says International Ambulance chasing.

• steve

wda whatever point you were making has been totally lost in the fact that you have posted many times

• wda

Disgusting advertisement for Chevron.

• wda

Chevron finds it disgusting that hedge funds invest in things.

• wda

Remediation = dirt over oil.

• wda

How much money does Chevron’s lawyers make off of this debacle.

• wda

They allow punitive damages here in the US.

• wda

Ha ha.  A Federal Judge reviewed the case and refused to set it aside.  Suck it Chevron/Texaco.

• Mike

Chevron is one of the worst companies in the world, and I’m glad they no longer advertise on KQED. It was sickening to watch their propaganda every night during the NewsHour

• ACW

With all the claims and counter-claims made by all sides in this program, it’s a good example of what Forum needs most-an accountant or a very knowledgeable assistant searching out the facts behind claims as they are made on the air.  The last 5 minutes of the show could then be a report of what facts were discovered.  In this case, how much the indigenous people would be helped by the settled lawsuit, how much all the attorneys will be making,  did he/they do this, or did he/they say that?

During election years, it drives me crazy to have several candidates for the same position on the air, each one saying “I did this”, or “this will cost xxx millions to implement” without knowing who to believe (or what the truth really is).

• JK

Thanks so much for featuring this important lawsuit. Fascinating and heartbreaking, hope it will come to an end soon. 

• JK

Also like Scott Shafer hosting!

• utera

A bit tired of countries trying to rape our companies for money.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor