(Scott Olson/Getty)

We talk with criminologist David M. Kennedy about his new book, “Don’t Shoot: One Man, a Street Fellowship, and the End of Violence in Inner-City America.” Kennedy has been recognized for his innovative strategies for reducing urban violence.

Guests:
David M. Kennedy, director of the Center for Crime Prevention and Control and professor of criminal justice at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City

• Warrack

Religion is not the answer. Religion is a parasitic organism that infect the human mind, and exploits human suffering. Cultural change is the solution. If blacks can be predominantly middle class in Panama, why not also in the USA? It’s because of culture.

• Jeff

Maybe it is a biological parasitic organism that is causing encephilitis and inflames mental tempers. And maybe religion is not the answer but people need a form of guidance, toward civility.  

• Warrack

Religion is never civil, that’s for sure. Its proponents insist they have the truth — without proof — just because they want to believe in fairy stories, and anyone who doesn’t believe the same stories, or believes different ones, is their enemy. Religion is mental slavery and will never lift anyone out of poverty, because it creates a mental poverty.

• Gerald Fnord

Destroying the “honour” (hah!) culture inherited from the Born Fightin’ set is the only way out.  I’d suggest wealth and knowledge—as the author of the “Conan” books said, with a different spin, once people enjoy the fruits of civilisation they stop caring about whether they’ve been dissed or not—because the dissing is not the first step to their being impoverished or killed.

• JK

I have heard of a number of programs that offer alternatives to traditional incarceration (drug courts, rehabilitation, etc,) that have been proven more effective and less costly but that don’t gain ground in the political arena because they don’t appear to be tough on crime.  What sort of reactions to politicians and policymakers have to your approach to ending violence?

• yani

Sounds like David Kennedy has a really keen sense of the issue. So i ponder about his statements on the rejection of racism or prejudice of any kind among the police.. Often times when stopped, cops use prior offenses to judge the immediate response. As a white male without any convictions, I am often let go for minor violations with an amenable attitude and a collared shirt. I’m no case study, but i do see the subtle racism and prejudice against the poor or anyone with prior convictions in my personal networks.
    On the other hand, just police never get the press deserved when they warn more than arrest, even though it is a very effective form of policing.

• J.M.

Here in Oakland, we could really use some intervention. I would like to know if David Kennedy has spent any time in this city and if he has any thoughts about the problems here?

• I’d like to hear more details regarding the results achieved.  If this really works as well as advertised, this could be huge!

Considering “Why They Kill” by Richard Rhodes regarding the work of Lonnie Athens — explaining how violent people are made, stopping gang violence for just one generation will have huge repercussions for the better for many generations.

I know it’s a stretch for your guest, but I’d love to hear projections on money saved on incarceration in California by adopting this approach throughout the state.  Not that it’s about the money, but for pushing for adoption through Sacramento.

Thanks for the great show!

• Adam

Please explain what happened when this approach was tried in SF during Willie Brown.  And why was it discontinued?
    -Tenderloin Resident

• Nina220

I loved the topic, but was I the only one completely distracted the guest’s constant lip smacking? 

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor