(Win McNamee/Getty)

Former Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm and her husband, leadership coach and author Dan Mulhern, join us to discuss their new book “A Governor’s Story: The Fight for Jobs and America’s Economic Future.”

Guests:
Jennifer Granholm, former governor of Michigan and distinguished professor of law and public policy at UC Berkeley's Goldman School of Public Policy
Dan Mulhern, leadership coach, author and distinguished practitioner of law and business at the UC Berkeley Law School and senior adviser to The Families and Work Institute

• Davidbowman2011

Why not reform federal tax structure – rates, credits, and deductions – so companies save only if they hire, otherwise they pay higher net taxes. We can see what happens if taxes are cut without job-focused tax policy … 2 TRILLION dollars on the side-lines. Will US corps start hiring if they accumulate 3 TRILLION.

Not saying this will change things overnight … can’t due to structural issues. But current tax structure is effectively disincentive to hire – safer to take largest profits now and bank them … maybe buy existing businesses rather than start new ones …

• Chemist150

I see why unemployment is high in Michigan.  The Keynesian economic model which both party subscribes too is too simple.  Cutting taxes only works in an “trickle down” economy which demands a non-existent trade balance and thus “trickle down” is “trickle out” and the auto industry of Michigan is a perfect example of that.  Re-investment may work in the short run but will be caught by the same “trickle out” effect if the trade balance does not come into line.  Fortunately, the decline and high unemployment of the US will make our products more competitive as our growth is slowed to allow others currencies to appreciate to our levels. 

Using the democrat “tax cuts don’t work” against the Republicans is a weak and uneducated approach to the economy and clearly the deeper fundamental understanding is absent in most of the politicians of today.

• Fay

Electrolux was offered a fantastic package to stay. They came back in the room and said “we can pay  workers only $1.57 per hour in Mexico.”
    NAFTA, which Bill Clinton pushed he now regrets and says was a mistake. Why is this not enough evidence and why isn’t it being reversed?
    Race to the bottom.

• Chemist150

Nafta was not that bad.  It was also drafted to help the more highly educated people over to create new industries.  That part worked.  Nafta intended to transfer lower jobs to Mexico to help improve their economy so that they’d have more money to buy US exports.  However, the money ended up in just a few hands instead of improving  the general workers condition.  Since the wealth did not get redistributed properly, the plan failed.  That particular issue of distribution of wealth from exports needs to be addressed in future trade agreements.

NAFTA was a good try but only partially worked and the key part failed.

• Ken Jaffee

I have been a big supporter of Governor Granholm, but I am curious as to why they are in California, couldn’t get a position at U of M?

• Amit Nithian

Michigan has some great public universities, most notably U of M; however I feel like there is this exodus of talent upon graduation. How can this be prevented so that these intelligent people can stay and contribute to Michigan’s economy?

• Fay

If so many – Bill Clinton included -DONT like NAFTA, why does it gain
    momentum? Should it and can be rolled back and what should replace it?

Fay
    The City

NOTE: In Clinton’s congressional testimony in February 2010,discussing his
    administration’s trade policy, Clinton admitted that it “has not worked”
    to alleviate poverty, as promised.

“It was a mistake,” he said
    of his agribusiness-backed initiatives forcing impoverished countries to
    eliminate tariffs. “It was a mistake that I was a party to … I had to
    live every day with the consequences of the loss of capacity to produce
    a rice crop in Haiti to feed those people because of what I did.”

Clinton
    didn’t stop there. In a subsequent ABC News interview, he said that
    when it came to 1990s-era financial deregulation that so harmed today’s
    economy, “I think [my advisors] were wrong, and I think I was wrong.”

• CW in SV

I adore former Governor Jennifer Granholm and thinks she is a national treasure. However, she probably misspoke when she intimated that LGBT families don’t face the same pressure of balancing careers, children and family. In fact, more and more LGBT couples are having children and face the very same challenges as Governor Granholm and her husband.

My partner and I are successful professional people and, yes, we also have children. We may not have become parents through our “plumbing” but we built our family through adoption for the very same reasons why the Governor and her husband chose to become parents.  

In fact, thanks to a damaged economy, a struggling public education system and fewer social supports, Americans everywhere face the daunting challenges of balancing career and family. Governor Granholm and her family have it no harder than anyone else. 

• Michael B

Wrong Governor. When Hedge fund managers buy stock in non-IPO trades (nearly all trades), they don’t infuse any cash into the underlying company; they give money to another investor for their shares of stock.
    Also, you just misused the logician’s term “begging the question.” Please look it up.

• Jeff

California has just legislated illegal immigration students, the same college tuition as in-state students. There by, giving illegal students the education to compete with legal students. Do you see this competition, a threat to job availabilty to the U.S. citizens.

• Livegreenoak

You guys are wrong, there r plenty of mid tech (NOT high tech) manufacturing companies and jobs that r still here and still gradually in decline to China. This would b stabalized by one thing: fair currency exchange & enforcing our trade agreements.

Your guests r talking only about large business and ignoring the many small and medium size companies that r still here, still make things, and employ mote people.

• Sfsilicon

Wow, refreshing. Never heard of Governor Granholm before. I really liked hearing someone who actually had policy solutions that could work based on actual experience. Picked up a lots of ideas that were new to me and not just the typical sound bites. I second the caller for her to run for office in CA.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor