(Getty Images)

It’s 4th of July weekend, and for a lot of Bay Area cooks that means heading outdoors and firing up the grill. We’ll talk BBQ and grilling techniques, and compare notes on favorite foods prepared by fire.

Guests:
Eric Markoff, chef at Anchor and Hope in San Francisco and developer of the BBQ program at Town Hall Restaurant
Amanda Gold, food writer for the San Francisco Chronicle
Chris Ying, editor in chief for Lucky Peach Quarterly, a new journal of food writing published by McSweeney's
Ryan Farr, owner, chef and butcher for 4505 Meats

• Eric

It’s ironic that the subject of grilling comes right after clean air vehicles.  We always hear not to grill on spare the air days.  In the long term, how does the pollution produced by grilling compare to other activities such as fireplace fires, driving, or mowing the lawn?  Are there things we can do to reduce the impact of grilling without giving up this tasty tradition?

• Neal

My brother just cooked the whole pig, and he said it was awesome.  Where do you get a whole big in the bay area?

• Newell_Post

Please stop talking about St. Louis style Bar-B-Q!  I lived there for nearly 10 years.  There were very few BBQ places in St. Louis, and the ones that existed were terrible.   Most of them served BBQ with a side of spaghetti, and there was no difference between the two sauces!

Kansas City has good BBQ.  Not St. Louis.

• Stephen

I’ve read that problem with cooking is that heat dries out meat because moisture evaporates. And the longer and hotter you cook, more of the moisture escapes. How long and at what intensity should meats be cooked to achieve good moisture, flavor, etc.?

• Desi-mom

I’m pregnant and in my third trimester, and I read about  soo many diet restrictions (no raw eggs, meat can’t be rare, I’m not even sure if charcoal is okay..). How’s a pregnant woman supposed to celebrate 4th of July ?!

• Higberts

Please Comment on to Gas Grill Or Charcoal Grill ?  Pros and Cons! 

We are torn about buy a Gas Grill. 

Many Thanks, Kim

• Joe

Love the show, longtime fan!

How about a shameless plug for a local company that has an
      environmentally friendly alternative to starting your charcoal grill? 

Invented in San Francisco, BioLighter petroleum free charcoal
      lighter fluid.  Available in at Dogpatch Biofuels at 765 Pennsylvania Ave
       in San Francisco and in Berkeley at The Biofuel Oasis.

http://www.biolighterbbq.com

Made in San Francisco with 100% food-based ingredients – better and
      faster for your grill, better for you, your family and the
      environment.   Taste your food, not your fuel!

“BioLighter works faster, burns cleaner, and tastes better than our
      competition, period.”

Thanks – happy holiday!

Joe
      Marlin             (415)
      642-7378      

Fleet Manager, Incredible Adventures

Station Master, Dogpatch Biofuels

Inventor/Patent Holder, BioLighter
      WW.incadventures.com

http://WWW.dogpatchbiofuels.com

http://WWW.dogpatchbiofuels.com/Bio-Lighter-Fact-Sheet1.pdf

• Jdallett

Grass fed beef info was incorrect. Always cook same temp but 30% less time and slow finish for a nice rosy red center.

• wotten1

Dunno if post-program comments are seen/read/responded to, but would like to learn what Lucky Peach Quarterly is about—curious about food writing within a journal. 

btw, is “Lucky” a rub-off term from early Chinese restaurant names?  ; )

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor