The new documentary, “The Last Mountain,” depicts a local community’s fight to stop mountaintop removal coal mining in the Appalachians of West Virginia. Environmentalist Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who is featured in the film, joins us to talk discuss his work.

Guests:
Mr. Robert F. Kennedy Jr., senior attorney for the Natural Resources Defense Council.

• sailormike

Please ask Mr. Kennedy why his family has been so opposed to the Cape Wind offshore wind farm, which when built will be about the size of a coal power plant (420 megawatts).  This wind farm will dramatically reduce air pollution in the region and would potentially offset the demand for coal removed via the mountaintop process.

Although the Kennedy family in general has a wonderful environmental record, it was shocking to how they reacted when a clean power plant (that is the wind farm) was proposed in their backyard.

• sailormike

Mr. Kennedy’s price of energy was wrong for the Cape Wind project.  He said it was $0.25/kWh.  The settled price in the power purchase agreement with $20.7/kWh, including the environmental certificates (which have an additional value).  The state of Massachusetts has said time and time again that they want the project.  The Bright Source solar project that Mr. Kennedy has invested in and was advertising on the show will cost about $0.17/kWh.  Renewable energy is not cheap but that’s the cost an alternative to coal that doesn’t kill people or warm the planet.

I’d like to know how the Cape Wind project was going to support the Bush administration as Mr. Kennedy claimed.  The Bush administration essentially stalemated the offshore wind permitting process for eight years and that comment does not make sense to me.

Anyway, thanks for reading my comment.  Great show!

• Roy-in-Boise

Man is a transition from the “fossil fuel age” To “the age of sustainability” and we now as a society and civilization are facing a well funded “Corporate Luddite movement” for the sake of sustaining short term profits in soon to be obsolete industries..

• Gabe Aponte

Where is the EPA when you need it? Why hasn’t it come down hard on these people?

• Cemekeller

Probably because it’s been so gutted in the last decade! So tragic.

• James D Ivey

Why has democracy failed in West Virginia?  Is it blatant political corruption?  Is it that too many people there watch conservative propaganda such as Fox “News”?

• Andrew Kelly

Having worked in the clean tech industry for some time I can say with some certainty that the only way to solve this problem is to increase the price of oil (taxes or the like). Instead of picking winning and losing technologies (wind subsidies, solar subsidies, etc), we need to let the free market sort this out.

BTW, cap and trade is a no go unless everyone in the world participates and windfall profits from initial permit allocation is dealt with. 

• Dean Liman

Michael mentioned the film “Waiting for Superman”. At some point, I hope he interviews Diane Ravitch, who wrote this scathing review:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2010/nov/11/myth-charter-schools/?pagination=false&printpage=true

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor