Science media projects that enhance student learning and engagement offer limitless possibilities for creativity in learning subject matter. Below are just a few reasons to incorporate media making projects into the science curriculum:
- Technology is engaging!
- Media projects give students the opportunity to connect to real life to concepts learned in class.
- Students develop relevant and important communication skills
- Media making and science share necessary skills (synthesis, analysis and evaluation of information, and critical thinking collaboration)
- Media is another (fun!) form of text that can be used to build literacy skills found in Common Core State Standards
As a science educator, where do you begin when first contemplating the development of media making projects for your students? Right here, of course! The online professional development module is a self-paced exploration of
- the different types of science stories that students may tell
- the different types of media projects you might consider introducing
- the various tools, equipement and resources available for media making projects
By the end of the module you will have gone through the process of creating a well thought out plan for developing a media making project for science students. Enjoy!