Recipe Chef: Randy Lewis
Recipe Name: CK Lamb Meatballs with Roasted Peppers and Farm Fresh Egg
Type of Cuisine: Moroccan
Food Category: Main course or appetizer
Spicy Moroccan meatballs.
Ras el Hanout (Moroccan Seasoning)
6 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons fennel seed
1 tablespoon allspice
2 whole nutmegs
60 threads saffron
4 1/2 teaspoons mace
3 cinnamon sticks, about three inches long
1 teaspoon cardamom
4 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon turmeric
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons dried mint
2 ounces bread, crust removed and diced
1 cup lamb stock
8 ounces ground lamb
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon fresh mint, roughly chopped
1/2 yellow onion, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter
2 red bell peppers, roasted and juilienned
1/2 cup lamb stock
1 teaspoon ras el hanout
1 tablespoon cilantro, roughly chopped
Ras el Hanout
1. In two separate skillets over medium heat, toast the black pepper and fennel until fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
2. Put black pepper, fennel, and the rest of the ingredients in a spice mill and process until finely ground.
3. Pass mixture through tamis or fine-mesh sieve and discard solids.
4. Store in an airtight container.
1. Soak bread in 1 cup of lamb stock for 15 minutes. Next, squeeze as much liquid out of the bread as possible. Set bread aside.
2. In a large bowl, add lamb, one egg, bread, cinnamon, parsley, cilantro, mint, onions, and salt and mix until uniformly combined.
3. Take a small amount of the meat mixture and shape it into a small ball about the size of a golf ball. Repeat with the remaining mixture to make about 16 meatballs.
4. Place a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and heat the olive oil and butter. Sear the meatballs until evenly browned all over.
5. Add peppers, lamb stock, and ras el hanout. Bring to a boil and cook a few minutes to reduce the liquid.
6. Make room for the eggs in the pan and crack them into the spaces between the meatballs.
7. Lower the heat and cover the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes or until eggs are just set. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro and serve in pan.