San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee last week joined other big-city mayors in telling fast food chain Chick-fil-A that its stores are not welcome in their cities. The controversy started when the company’s owner stated his opposition to same-sex marriage and support for “the biblical definition of the family unit.” KQED’s Forum discusses the risks and benefits for companies that wade into politics and social issues. Does a company’s politics play into your buying decisions?
Original Broadcast: Mon, Jul 30, 2012 — 9:00 AM
Host: Scott Shafer
- Andy Bagnall, vice president of client services, Global Advertising Strategies Inc.
- Bryan Fischer, director of issue analysis, American Family Association
- Debra Saunders, columnist, San Francisco Chronicle
- Richard Socarides, longtime gay rights advocate and former Clinton White House senior adviser
- Tim Calkins, professor of marketing, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University